- ABRCMS -
ASM Education Department
1752 N Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
for Microbiology 2013
Travel Awards- Student Travel Award
Application deadline has passed; ABRCMS is not accepting late applications.
ABRCMS Student Travel Award Guidelines
The goal of the ABRCMS Student Travel Award is to increase the number of students pursuing advanced training in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields. The program offers undergraduate and postbaccalaureate students the opportunity to participate in one of the nation’s premier scientific meetings.
The ABRCMS Student Travel Award provides up to $1500 to cover registration, housing, airfare and ground transportation. If you are accepted, the ABRCMS staff will handle the conference registration and hotel arrangements. Reimbursements for the airfare and ground transportation will be provided within 60 days after the conference and upon submission of expense receipts and final evaluation.
Prospective ABRCMS Student Travel Award applicants must satisfy the following five criteria:
- Must be full-time matriculating undergraduate student at an accredited U.S. institution of higher education or a postbaccalaureate student who fulfills at least ONEof the following characteristics: From an underrepresented/underserved ethnicity/race, or
- From a community college, or
- From a minority serving institution (such as historically Black colleges and universities, Hispanic serving institutions, or tribal colleges), or
- First generation college student, or
- Non-traditional student (e.g. beginning post secondary education at or after age 21, full-time employment, having dependents, taking longer than six years to complete a degree)
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, and
- Must be accepted to present a poster or oral presentation at the 2013 ABRCMS, and
- Cannot be a recipient of another travel award/grant, including BRIDGES, MARC or MBRS, and
- Cannot be a previous ABRCMS presenter
Note: Graduate students and postdoctoral scientist are not eligible to apply
Complete ABRCMS Student Travel Award Applications
A complete ABRCMS Student Travel Award application contains three (3) parts:
- Student Travel Award application submission (submit online)
- Abstract submission (submit online)
- Recommendation form (fax/email to ABRCMS office)
All three (3) parts of the ABRCMS Student Travel Award Application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PST on September 6, 2013. No exceptions will be made.
Part 1 - Student Travel Award Application Submission
Student Travel Award Submission Site - This link will take you to the Travel Award submission site. This is the same submission site used for submitting an ABRCMS abstract.
The following essay questions will be required to complete this part:
- Discuss your plans after you've completed your undergraduate or postbaccalaureate studies.
- Describe your reasons for attending the conference and plans for preparing yourself for ABRCMS.
- Discuss how you plan to utilize the knowledge and information gained by attending ABRCMS and how you plan on helping others benefit from your participation at ABRCMS.
- List any student meetings of 1,000 or more participants where you attended and/or presented your research.
- List any campus–wide, regional or national meetings of less than 1,000 participants where you attended and/or presented your research.
- List any meetings you are planning to attend and/or will present your research within the next six months.
- Describe what you learned from meetings attended and what impact it has had on your academic and career planning.
- List all credit and non credit courses that you have taken from August 2012 to August 2013.
- List all science-related undergraduate courses that you have enrolled in and final grades obtained in each of the courses.
- Describe your research project.
Part 2 - Abstract Submission
Abstract Submission Site - This link will take you to the abstract submission site. This is the same submission site used for submitting an ABRCMS Student Travel Award.
Part 3 - Recommendation Form
One recommendation form is REQUIRED as part of your Student Travel Award application. It is your responsibility to provide the following recommendation form to your nominator.
ABRCMS Student Travel Award Recommendation Form (pdf)
ABRCMS Student Travel Award Recommendation Form (word)
Please note that ABRCMS reserves the right to contact nominators to confirm any portion of your application.
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by the following criteria: (1) academic achievement, (2) experience conducting independent work, (3) interest in biomedical and/or behavioral sciences, and (4) motivation to attend ABRCMS.
All applicants will receive an eNotification by Monday, September 30, 2013 regarding the final status of their application.
Contact ABRCMS staff at
(202) 942-9228 if you have questions.