ABRCMS Student Travel Award 2017
Deadline: August 25
Do you want to present at ABRCMS, but don't have the funds to attend? Apply for the ABRCMS Student Travel Award! Awardees will receive up to $1,500 to cover conference registration, housing and/or travel (airfare).
If you plan on applying for a travel award, please do not book your travel, hotel or pay for your registration until you receive your official notification from ABRCMS.
Prospective ABRCMS Student Travel Award applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Must be full-time matriculating undergraduate student at an accredited U.S. institution of higher education or a postbaccalaureate student who fulfills at least ONE of the following characteristics:
- From an underrepresented/underserved ethnicity/race (groups include African-Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, Alaskan Natives, and Pacific Islanders), or
- From a community college or
- From a minority serving institution (such as historically Black colleges and universities, Hispanic serving institutions or tribal colleges), or
- First generation college student, or
- Non-traditional student (e.g. beginning post-secondary education at or after age 21, full-time employment, having dependents, taking longer than 6 years to complete a degree) or
- U.S. military veteran or
- Individual with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident and
- Must be accepted to present a poster or oral presentation at ABRCMS 2017 and
- Cannot belong to any NIH/NIGMS funded programs and
- Cannot be a previous ABRCMS presenter
Note: Graduate students and postdoctoral scientists are not eligible to apply
A complete ABRCMS Student Travel Award application contains 3 parts:
- Student Travel Award application submission (submit online)
- Abstract submission (submit online)
All 3 parts of the ABRCMS Student Travel Award Application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PST on Aug. 25, 2017. No exceptions will be made.
Part 1 - Student Travel Award Application Submission
Student Travel Award Submission Site - This link will be available April 5. It is the same submission site used for submitting an ABRCMS abstract.
The following essay questions will be required to complete this part:
- Discuss your plans after you've completed your undergraduate or postbaccalaureate studies
- Describe your reasons for attending the conference and plans for preparing yourself for ABRCMS
- Discuss how you plan to utilize the knowledge and information gained by attending ABRCMS and how you plan on helping others benefit from your participation at ABRCMS
- List any student meetings of 1,000 or more participants where you attended and/or presented your research
- List any campus–wide, regional or national meetings of less than 1,000 participants where you attended and/or presented your research
- List any meetings you are planning to attend and/or will present your research within the next 6 months
- Describe what you learned from meetings attended and what impact it has had on your academic and career planning
- List all science-related undergraduate courses that you have enrolled in and final grades obtained in each of the courses
- Describe your research project
Part 2 - Abstract Submission
Abstract Submission Site -This link will be available April 5. It is the same submission site used for submitting an ABRCMS Student Travel Award.
Part 3 - Recommendation Form
One recommendation form is REQUIRED as part of your student travel award application. It is your responsibility to provide the following recommendation form to your nominator.
Please note that the recommendation form asks for the student's Travel Award Control Number. This number is assigned to the student after s/he has begun the online Travel Award application.
Please note that ABRCMS reserves the right to contact nominators to confirm any portion of your application.
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by the following criteria: (1) academic achievement, (2) experience conducting independent work, (3) interest in biomedical and/or behavioral sciences, and (4) motivation to attend ABRCMS.
All applicants will receive an eNotification by the end of September regarding the final status of their application.
ABRCMS Judges' Travel Subsidy
Deadline: July 12, 2017
Are you passionate about helping the next generation of STEM students succeed? Apply for ABRCMS Judges' Travel Subsidy. Postdoctoral scientists and faculty members available to judge all scheduled poster and oral sessions and to mentor ABRCMS Student Travel Awardees are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to active researchers in any of the 12 scientific disciplines represented at the conference.
The award package includes up to $1,500 to cover conference registration, housing, and/or travel. If you plan on applying for the award, please do not book your travel, hotel, or pay for your registration until you receive your official notification from ABRCMS.
Prospective applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Researcher in one of the twelve scientific disciplines represented at the conference and
- Postdoctoral scientist or research faculty member and
- Review applicants for the ABRCMS Student Travel Award in September and
- Attend the pre-conference Judges' Orientation Webinar held in October,and
- Attend the on-site Judges' Orientation held on Thursday, Nov. 2 @ 8:30 a.m. and
- Serve as an on-site mentor to a small group of ABRCMS Student Travel Awardees and
- Judge all poster and oral sessions scheduled throughout the conference (must arrive on Wednesday, Nov. 1 and stay until 2 pm on Saturday, Nov. 4).
- Federal Agency employees cannot receive any funding or compensation (complimentary travel, hotel or registration ) from ABRCMS and therefore are not eligible to apply for the Judges’ Travel Subsidy. Individuals currently receiving funding from one of these NIH funded programs, are only eligible to apply for registration – RISE, MARC U-STAR, BRIDGES-BAC, BRIDGES-DOC, IMSD, PREP, SCORE, NARCH, IRACDA, BUILD and NRMN.
New and returning judges are eligible to apply
Application deadline is Tuesday, July 12. A link to the application will be available April 5.
Click on APPLY NOW and proceed with the following steps:
- Initially, you will be asked for an email address and password. If you have not logged in before, a new account will be created when you enter your email address and password
- Upon providing the requested information, you will receive a message stating that your email address is not in the system. This notice is NOT an error message
- To confirm that your email address is correct and you would like a new record created for the email address that you have provided, please select "Yes, my email address is correct, CONTINUE," then "Apply Now"
Step 1 will ask you to complete a profile. Under "Additional Information," be sure to select the appropriate educational status under "Ed/Professional." The awards or programs available to you will depend on your profile information and educational status.
- Upon completing your profile, select "Continue Application"
Step 2 will generate a list of programs based on the educational status in your profile. Use the dropdown menu select "2016 ABRCMS Judges' Travel Subsidy"
- Before continuing with the application, you may want to learn more about the program by selecting "Read About Program"
- To proceed, select "Continue Application"
- If the ABRCMS Judges' Travel Subsidy does not show up in the drop down box, click "Update your profile" to review your education status or review the eligible criteria listed above
Step 3 will allow you to complete the online application and upload supporting documents.
- Before logging off, be sure to select "Save and Finish Later" OR "Submit my Application"
The Judges' Travel Subsidy program is competitive; notification letters will be emailed by Thursday, Aug. 10, 2017.
- If accepted into the program, ABRCMS will provide further instructions on booking travel, reserving your hotel and processing your registration. Travel/hotel booked in advance and/or outside of the ABRCMS block WILL NOT be reimbursed.
- Applicants DO NOT have to register for the conference as part of the application process.
- Postdoctoral scientist must share rooms.
- Room assignments will be made based on demographic information collected during the registration process. Hotel assignment is made solely by ABRCMS staff and cannot be switched.
- The following is NOT covered by the Travel Subsidy:
- Ground transportation to and from the airport/residence
- Meals outside of the conference meal ticket, including meals on travel days.