IMPORTANT 2018 DATES & DEADLINES
April 10: ABRCMS Student Travel Award Site Opens
April 19: Registration & Conference Housing Opens
Aug. 24: Student Travel Award Deadline
Sept. 7: Abstract Review Process
Sept. 24: Abstract Notifications Sent
Oct. 1: Accept/Withdraw Abstract Deadline
Nov. 14–17: ABRCMS 2018
1. Confirm your eligibility.
To submit an abstract, you must satisfy the following two criteria:
1. As of Nov. 14, 2018, you must be currently enrolled full-time as one of the following:
- Community college student*
- Undergraduate sophomore, junior, or senior
- Postbaccalaureate student
*Community college students must have completed at least 30 credit hours in order to be eligible
2. Have conducted research, used experimental methods and developed results in one of the 12 ABRCMS scientific disciplines
- Only undergraduate students, including community college students, are eligible to submit an abstract for oral presentations. Postbaccalaureates and previous poster/oral presentation awardees are only eligible to submit abstracts for poster presentations
- Community college students who have not completed at least 30 credit hours, undergraduate freshman, graduate students and postdoctoral scientists are not eligible to submit abstracts
- If you are not enrolled full-time as one of eligible student types, during the conference, you cannot submit an abstract. Your eligibility is based on your enrolled education level as of Nov. 1, 2017 and NOT your education level when you conducted your research.
- Presentations made by community college and undergraduate students, who have not previously won an ABRCMS presentation award, will be judged on-site and eligible for awards
- Postbaccalaureates and previous ABRCMS presentation awardees will have their poster presentations judged on-site but not eligible for awards
2. Review the abstract components and guidelines.
View a sample abstract.
All submissions must be received through the abstract submission site by 11:59 p.m. PDT on Sept. 8, 2018. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Accepted abstracts must contain:
- At least two authors in the author block
- Hypothesis or statement about the problem under investigation
- Statement of the experimental methods/methodology used
- Essential results provided in summary form (even if preliminary)
Abstracts missing any of the items above will be rejected.
- Only one student, the individual listed first in the author block, can present the abstract
- You must obtain permission from your research mentors, co-authors, and program directors before submitting an abstract. Research mentors, co-authors, and program directors will receive a copy of the notification e-mail by Sept. 24, 2018 indicating the status of the abstract
- Only one abstract submission, poster or oral, per student is acceptable. You must decide between submitting an abstract for poster OR oral presentation. If you are listed as the presenting author on more than one abstract, all abstracts associated with you will be automatically rejected
- If you are working in the same lab as another abstract submitter, you must independently submit original abstracts. Identical abstracts submitted by different students will be automatically rejected
- Abstracts must be written by you and reviewed/edited by the mentor. Mentors should not write the abstract
- Citations, tables and keywords are not allowed in the abstract text and will be removed
- The character limit of the abstract is 2,500 (not including spaces)
- Work must be proofread prior to submission. ABRCMS staff will not edit abstracts
3. See if you're eligible for an ABRCMS Student Travel Award.
If you are a first-time ABRCMS presenter, check to see if you are eligible for a travel award. Applications are due by Aug. 24, 2018.
4. Submit your abstract by 11:59 PDT Sept. 7, 2018.
The abstract submission site will open April 10, 2018.
*Please note Internet Explorer is the preferred browser for the submission site.
5. You will be notified by Sept. 24, 2018 if your abstract is accepted.
All abstract authors, including the research adviser listed on your abstract, will receive notice of whether or not your abstract was accepted.
6. If your abstract is accepted, confirm status by Oct. 1, 2018.
You MUST accept the invitation to present your abstract by Oct. 1, 2018 in order to participate in the judging program. Presentation date/time will not be provided until you have accepted.
Please note that ABRCMS has a strict No Show Policy. If an individual accepts the invitation to present but does not show up to present, s/he will not be able to participate in next year's judging program.
7. Review the presentation policies and guidelines.
Follow these guidelines to prepare for a successful ABRCMS poster/oral presentation.
8. View all 2018 abstracts on the Online Abstract Database.
All abstracts will be available online through the ABRCMS Abstract Database. The database will be made available in Oct.
View the 2017 ABRCMS Abstract Database.
9. Request a guest pass.
10. Present your research at ABRCMS 2018!